Top Reasons to use Waterjet Cutting Services
Waterjet cutting has been in use since the 1950’s when Dr. Norman Franz discovered the innovative method. Not only is waterjet cutting used to help lumber companies, it has improved and been proven effective in the stainless steel and aluminum industries.
Waterjets use a simple process of high pressure streamed water which allows for the materials to be cut or cleaned. In order for the waterjet to be effective for cutting materials, the cutter is attached to a high-pressure water pump where the water is ejected from the nozzle. There may also be additives, such as abrasives, used to help with the cutting process.
While waterjet cutting can be used for a number of different materials, there are at least five benefits for cutting aluminum and stainless steel.
1. The Ability of Waterjets to cut through almost anything. Many don’t understand the capability of waterjets, they have the ability to cut through 10 in aluminum sheets and eight-inch stainless steel sheets.
2. Using waterjets doesn’t mean heat is required. Since waterjets don’t generate heat when cutting materials, it is the preferred method for those materials sensitive to rising temperatures. Most methods of cutting materials will damage or alter the surface but the no heat-affected zone (HAZ) prevents this from occurring when using a waterjet.
3. Waterjet cutting is considered to be one of the most effective methods in relation to precision when cutting. The precision of waterjets is high enough to state that the accuracy is 0.005″ and when repeated stands at 0.001″. Not only do waterjets have a high level of precision when cutting aluminum and steel but it also provides a burr-free finish. The waterjets eliminate the need for a secondary surface finishing process and allows for expenses to be spared.
4.Speed The initial set-up time is small. The cutting process is quicker than other methods that may be utilized for cutting materials. Materials rarely have to be re-cut when using the waterjet cutting process.
5. The cutting process is environmentally sound Waterjets are classified as green technology. During the process of cutting materials with the waterjet, there are no byproducts produced. The use of waterjets prevents wasteful cutting from occurring, since the large pieces of reusable scrap material can be cut off.
When using waterjets to cut aluminum or stainless steel, there are a plethora of environmental advantages. Not a lot of water is necessary to use the waterjet. Almost one half to one gallon of water will be used per minute, depending on the cutting head orifice size. By using a closed-looped system, the water used can be reused. Waste water is often clean enough to filter and dispose of through a drain.
7. A safer work environment is created. Waterjets eliminate airborne dust particles, smoke, fumes, and contaminants from cutting materials. Machinist exposure is reduced as well as any problems from bystander exposure through the use of waterjet cutting, which improves the work environment.